Sunday, May 23, 2010

Burnt Flower Bobby Pin

Yesterday, while at a wine tasting at Arbor Brook winery with Nathan and my parents, I saw a gal with an adorable fabric flower on a bobby pin in her hair. I woke up this morning wanting to wear something similar to church, but knew I wouldn't have enough time to perfect the kind of folding that her version required.


So I found this tutorial for a burnt edges flower. Rather than stitching the layers together, I used a dab of hot glue between each layer of fabric, to attach the button (which is oyster shell, it just didn't show up very well in the photo), and to attach the bobby pin to the back. The entire process, including cutting out the circles free-hand, only took about 5 minutes, with the following result.




And no, I didn't wear this hoodie to church. I took this photo after a much-needed nap.

I have so much fun doing these simple, sometimes practical, sometimes just for fun projects. I was actually thinking this morning at church, after a friend asked me how to make my dry-erase frame calendar, that it would be a ton of fun to regularly have a girl's project day. We could choose a few projects to do, I would tell everyone what supplies they would need (because let's face it, I'm too poor to buy everyones' supplies), and then we could gather at my place to make said projects. Sounds like fun to m! Especially if we choose practical projects, like the dry-erase calendar. 'Cause who doesn't need more adorable organization in their lives?!

No comments: