Saturday, April 5, 2008

Keeping Busy

Ah, spring time. Kind of.

Nathan's been keeping himself really busy with the backyard. Last night, he worked until 12:30 am getting the entire top of the back yard turned over with a shovel (saving us about $200 on renting a tiller). This morning he got up early, finished shoveling up the yard, and then drove to Ontario for a Home Depot trip. He got some nice 12"x12" red brick squares to make a pathway between the patio and the dog kennel, fertilizer, soil, bark dust, and a Quaking Aspen. Once Mike moves out of the Pine Creek house, Nathan is going to go up to the creek behind the barn and get enough rocks to line both sides of the path. Between the path and the garage, we're going to make a vegetable garden complete with lettuce, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and snap peas (mmmm). I can't wait to have some fresh veggies. Then somewhere on the other side of the path, Nathan is going to plant the little quaking aspen, which he is going to put some weather treated wood and bark dust around so it has a border. After all the major landscaping is done, we'll go ahead and plant the grass. Nathan is on such a roll, I wouldn't be surprised if we were ready for me to put out the seed by Monday. But who knows, it kind of depends on the weather, which has been fluctuating between a balmy 50 degrees and SNOW. I'm so excited to have a nice backyard that will be level, devoid of holes, and devoid of dog poo since Bandit has taken to his new kennel so well.

In other news, Nathan and I had a long talk and we decided that it would best for us to find a different home for Heidi. We feel horrible about this, so not giving us crap about it would be appreciated. We've just found that it's next to impossible to get Bandit and Heidi calmed down when they're together, Bandit has become a crazed maniac when Heidi is around, and our attempts to train Heidi to be less clingy/more calm aren't going very well and just plain don't stick when both of the dogs are together. So we put a "free to a good home" ad in the newspaper, got a couple of kinda wacky calls about her, and ended up taking her back to the Animal Clinic, where the gals are sure they'll be able to find a good place for her. We feel horrible about this, but if we don't have enough time to devote to her training now, what is it going to be like once the baby is here. Plus, it really had me worried thinking about having a baby around the house with two dogs who tear through the house like bats outta hell. Our house is so much calmer now that we just have Bandit again, Bandit is remembering his training, and it's MUCH easier to keep my house clean! I have to admit, it's a huge relief to not have two puppies anymore and I think we're going to stick to one dog from now on.

Other than that, my life consists of sleeping, work, eating, rehearsal, lather rinse repeat. Right now I feel like ALL I'm doing is sleeping. It's kind of frustrating, actually, but my body is just so incredibly tired! Thankfully I have next weekend off and we have NO plans. None! So I'm hoping I can at least get my floors cleaned and just relax with Nathan for a few days. Tomorrow I'm going to be a little short on sleep because we're planning on going to church, then for the rest of the week I have Young Life, rehearsal, work, and work. And then...the weekend. The light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: