Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To Touch My Heart

At the risk of sounding like a blog stalker, I was once again reading through some of Pioneer Woman's previous posts (I have about two years worth to catch up on), when I happened across a post entitled "More Changes in Plans", wherein PW asks her readers to tell her how their lives compare to the plans, dreams, and expectations they had ten, twenty years ago. Reading through the 500+ comments, it struck me just how alike we all are and how we face many of the same triumphs and trials.

One in particular reached out to me, not so much because of her story but because of a quote that she included:

“We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ~ Joseph Campbell

I can't even describe how much that quote has reached into my heart and taken up residence there. In the past 7 years or so, I've felt so much disappointment in myself, mainly because I felt I was disappointing the people I care about the most. It wasn't until recently that I've realized that I need to let go of the life I thought I wanted/needed in order to fully appreciate what I have now. Because my life is so much better than I ever could have imagined.

Thank you Joseph Campbell, you're a profound man. You've managed to touch my heart.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Have you heard the song "I'm letting go" by Francesca Battistelli? It is one of my favorites and I think it would apply perfectly. :-)