Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why Pay The Big Bucks?

When you can make the same thing yourself for a fraction of the price?

We have a small problem in that our boys won't be able to fit into their baby carriers until they are 8 lbs. Which will probably be another 5 weeks awake or so. The solution? My mother in law saw a woman in the grocery store who was carrying her baby in a pretty fancy looking wrap. When she asked the woman what it was, the lady said it was a Moby Wrap (see below). After looking it up, I was pretty impressed...until I saw the price. Anywhere from $40 for the base model to $70 for the fanciest one!!! I don't think so! But the more I looked at the pictures, the more I realized that it was just a really long piece of fabric. That's it. One long piece of fabric.

The Moby Wrap

I looked up "make your own moby wrap" online and sure enough, the directions said to buy 5 yards worth of fabric, cut it in half length-wise, and use. Hemming optional. Seeing as how I was on bedrest, my mom went out and got the fabric for me. Tonight I remembered that I had it so I cut off the salvage, cut it in half, and I now have Levi cozily curled up in it, snuggled up against my chest. And boy oh boy is he a happy camper! You can even carry both twins at the same time in this thing, at least for a little bit! I haven't tried out that particular trick yet, but I'm sure I will soon!

Here's to refusing to pay retail price!

3 comments:

Arly said...

AMEN! That's exactly what I was going to do too. Is it comfortable to wear?

Lindy said...

It's actually super comfortable, I was surprised. When the boys get bigger, it will be a little more strain on the back, but not too much. Plus by then we'll be able to use the baby carriers.

Auntie Dani said...

My goodness...aren't YOU the crafty one!!!

My friend has one for her son and she SWEARS by it. Not sure she made her own though...which makes you THAT much cooler in my eyes!