Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Heavenly Occurances

This morning while I was driving to work at 5:40 am, there was a HUGE yellow moon that was about 3/4 full, just hovering above the Elkhorns. It made me wish I had my camera and tripod. By the time I got half way to work, the moon was starting to set behind the mountains and all you could see in front of it was the sillouette of the peaks. It was absolutely beautiful. It only lasted for about 3 minutes, and then it was gone, but I felt special to have gotten to see something so amazing while most of the town was still asleep.

Here's the link to a Portland news station's story from this morning's meteor appearance. They even mention Baker!

Evidently about half an hour before that, our officer had seen a really bright flash of light in the sky. Of course when he reported this, there was the inevitable "alien invader" jokes, but it turns out that he wasn't going crazy. After I got to work, I got a call from Union County asking if we had seen a bright flash of light. Apparently they had also seen it and had gotten a report from some official agency stating that a meteorite had fallen out of the sky pretty close to us and that it had caused a bright flash of light. I still like the alien theory, myself. Or maybe it's some secret government agency conducting tests over Baker County. I'll let you know if we start getting reports of people disappearing or twitching.

2 comments:

Arly said...

My parents said they saw the bright flash too! Dad thought it was a meteor and Mom thought it was the spy satlilite. ;)

Carly said...

Haha thats what I was wondering, if it was the satellite they've been talking about on T.V. Didn't they blow it to bits or something??

That's crazy.

Doesn't it make you feel great when you get special moments like you did w/ the moon & mountains? When I worked graveyard at Marvins I got moments like that all the time on my way home-- early morning in Baker Valley is definitely special.