Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Relay for Life

As some of you probably already got an email about, this year I am captain of a Relay for Life team. When Marla passed away, I really wanted to get involved with this event that raises funds for cancer research, but I just wasn't ready yet. This year, though, is a different story. I'm so incredibly excited to get going on this. Last night was the kick-off party for RfL, and I just jumped in with both feet. So now I have to get together a team of 8-15 people for the relay itself, plus help organize that team to raise at least $1000 to go towards cancer research.

The relay itself is going to be a blast. It's 24 hours long, everyone camps in the middle of the high school track where the relay takes place, each team decorates their camp site, and there's an amazing moment at sunset where everyone lights their Luminaria. Luminarias are white paper bags with the Relay for Life emblem on them that we sell for $10. You then decorate your luminaria to honor a person in your life who has battled cancer or in honor of cancer survivors in general. Once those are all lit, the luminaria follow the outside curve the track and light your way during your walk around the track. It's absolutely beautiful. In the video they showed last night of the 2007 Relay for Life, a luminaria for Marla was shown for a long time...it would have taken a stronger person than myself to keep from crying.

If anyone would like to get involved as part of the relay team, or through donating, just let me know. My email is lindy.yl@gmail.com and my cell number is 541.633.3809.

No comments: