Thursday, July 24, 2008

Almost There!

Only half of a graveyard shift to go and then my three-day weekend begins. What a relief! I think I've been thinking of this weekend as the eye of the hurricane. Last weekend was pretty stressful and the next two weeks are going to be fairly insane. But in between are three days of getting out of town without having to drive 6 hours to do it, a chance to get away from the temporary disaster that is our house.

If I haven't mentioned it before, our new flooring in the hallway and bathroom looks amazing! That and the paint job in the kitchen (not to mention getting rid of the old, ugly cabinets) makes it easier and easier to imagine what the final result might be. Nathan called me tonight to tell me that two of the hanging cabinets are already up...I can't wait to see what they look like when I get home in the morning!!!

Sometimes I wish that Marla could see what we've done with the house so far. I like to think that she'd be impressed. Before she passed away, she told me that she wanted Nathan and I to make this house into our own...I think we've done that with flying colors. The more we do to it, the less it becomes Marla's house and the more it becomes ours. It's bittersweet in a way. All the changes make it easier to walk into the house without remembering the painful memories, but at the same time there's also less to trigger the happy memories.

Along the same lines, I would give anything to have Marla here to share the joy and anticipation of the arrival of her "grandsons". The boys will definitely hear about their Nonna Marla, but that won't even come close to seeing them in her arms, watching them grow up around her. I know she'll be watching over all of us, I just wish I could watch her hold them, even if it were only once.

Anyway, with all the interruptions I've had at work, it's taken over two hours to write this post. Now there are only 4 hours until my shift is over, then 5 or so hours to sleep before I head to Burns for the weekend. So I'll see you in a few days!

No comments: