Sunday, October 12, 2008

And Good Times Were Had By All!

(Enter witty blog intro here.)

First of all, let me just say that giving birth to and caring for two children has caused me to go more than just a little brain dead. My wittiness seems to have abandoned me and sometimes I get so tired that things come out of my mouth before I can really think about it. Which means that I sometimes come across a lot less tactful than I mean to be. Or I completely space off in the middle of a conversation. So I apologize if I appear rude to anyone! Just blame the babies, ha ha!

Yesterday (Saturday) was my birthday, and I was lucky enough to get to celebrate with my hubby, my adorable babies, my parents, and my father in law. It was a great weekend, if a little tiring. I'd have to say the best part, though, was most definitely dinner. We went to the Melting Pot and...wow. Just...wow. For those who have never heard of it, the Melting Pot is a fondue restaurant. We ordered the all inclusive meal that included a cheese fondue appetizer, salad, an entree fondue, and a chocolate dessert fondue. Because there were five of us, we ordered two of these meals, which was more than enough food. Oh, and we went through two bottles of red wine. The entire meal took us almost four hours to get through...it was wonderful. I couldn't have asked for better company, we had a ton of laughs, and I loved that the meal itself was a wonderfully relaxed pace.

After dinner, Nathan and I went to see the boys between their feedings, which we usually don't do because they're asleep at that time and we have to leave them alone. Well, this time they were wide awake and fussy, so we got to hold them both for almost an hour in order to get them calmed down. Which meant that I didn't have to go through baby withdrawals!

Let's see, other big news on the twin front...

Yesterday (Saturday), the boys got their first real baths. Before now, they had to be sponge bathed inside of their isolettes because they were too small to hold a good temperature when wet. They've both been maintaining good temps with their isolettes at room temp though, so we got to pull them out of their isolettes, take all of their monitor leads off, and use a bathtub. They both seemed to like the bathtub better than the sponge baths, so that was a ton of fun.

Today was a milestone as well...they both got to wear clothes for the first time!!! The funny part is that even preemie clothes are big on them! That doesn't diminish the cuteness, however! As of their weigh in last night, Asher was 1577 grams and Levi was 1571 grams. That's 3 lbs 7 oz. Only 9 oz to go until they hit the 4 lb mark! They're definitely starting to look a little chubbier, at least to those of us who see them on a daily basis. I did find out tonight, however, that there is no minimum weight requirement in order for the boys to go home. They have to be able to do a full feeding without their tubes, maintain their body temp in a regular crib, and not have any Brady episodes for about 5 days once they are taken off the caffeine they are currently on. Not too bad.

The only damper on the whole weekend is that Nathan had to go home tonight. We decided that it would be a good idea for him to go home for a couple of work days each week. Hopefully that way he'll be able to pave the way for him working at home once the boys come home. We will definitely miss him, but the last thing we want is for him to lose his job or be bumped down to part time hours. And it should only be a couple of days each week.

Enough on that, it's time for this momma to get some sleep!

No comments: