Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tired

Sorry it's been a couple of days since the last update but this last weekend was draining, both mentally and emotionally. Not to mention very frustrating. Oddly enough, it really had nothing to do with the boys, who are both still doing amazingly well. And it all ended with things coming to a head with our Sunday night nurse (the one I talked about in the last post).

We were both hoping to avoid seeing her again, so we skipped the boys' 8 pm feeding and went to their 11:00 one instead. No dice, she was still there for another hour. She continued to talk to us in a very condescending way and every time we passed on information about the boys to her, she just blew it off and acted insulted. But here's the thing...we were told from the get go that we are the keepers of information on the boys that may not get passed on from nurse to nurse. For example, the boys were having some trouble digesting all their milk and previous nurses had found that they both digested better while laying on their tummy. We tried to tell this nurse that, and she just brushed it off. This happened over and over again.

On top of that, she kept fiddle farting around so that we ended up holding the boys about half an hour later than usual. At this point, all I wanted was to be able to touch my boys and hold one of them. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I sat down with Levi and the nurse was trying to figure out where to put his feeding pump so it would reach where I was sitting. All the other nurses put it on top of his isolette, which worked great, but when I offered that information, this nurse just glared at me and put it INSIDE of his isolette...umm, the pump is not a sterile machine and you're putting it on my baby's bedding? It was at that point that Nathan lost his temper and got into an argument with the nurse.

Thankfully, one of our previous nurses, Jana, came in at that point, found me crying because all I wanted was some peace and quite while holding Levi, and stepped in to help. Nathan attempted to apologize to the other nurse and explain to her our frustration, but she was just too stubborn to see where we were coming from. So Jana pulled her aside and talked to her, and then stayed with us for the rest of the time, which was great. Jana is my hero. I'm so tired of drama and childish adults. I would feel like it's something wrong with us, but we get along great with all of the other nurses!

As for the boys, they continue to do great. As of yesterday, they both weighed 3 lbs .5 oz. Asher had another successful recreational feed yesterday morning. I still can't get enough of staring into their eyes while I'm holding them and I love watching them memorize my face. That's really all I've got in terms of an update on the boys, which I guess is a good thing because it means that they are continuing to thrive and aren't having complications!

Yesterday, after the boys' 11 am feeding, Nathan and I decided that we needed to drive home for the night in order to pick up the mail, let me do some damage control at the house after our hasty departure, get one of Nathan's prescriptions, and let him go into work for a couple of hours. It was also the first Young Life club of the school year, which was too much fun! It was so great to see all of my co-leaders and YL kids again, but oh man was I tired after club. And wow did our own bed feel good after the sleep number bed here!

We had to leave Baker by 6:30 this morning so I could be here in Boise for my 10 am follow up appointment. Dr. Lee (the dr who did my c section) checked my incision and ok'd me to drive! So today I drove for the first time in exactly 10 weeks!!! Yay for freedom!

Ok, now you're caught up on the last 2 1/2 days.

1 comment:

Carly said...

That's awesome Lindy! And go Jana! It is hard, we weren't in the hospital as long as you guys obviously, but we had at least 1 nurse that was really bad. The rest were absolute peaches. I wanted to take them home with me, haha :)
Hope you get the good ones from now on. :) Good for you for putting your foot down, though, my aunt is a nurse and she reminded me that she is hired by the patients, essentially. You are paying her bills, make sure she does it the right way!