Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blink...Blink...Nod

It's almost two in the morning and I've had a total of three hours of sleep in the last 24 hours. Needless to say, the remaining five hours of my shift are stretching before me for what seems like eternity. Yaaaaaaawning. Both me and the hours.

Part of the problem with my sleep schedule was that the boys had an appointment at 12:20 for their monthly Synagis shot, which helps protect them from what to us is the common cold or flu, but to them can be deadly. They got weighed and they both now weigh 7 lbs 10 oz!!!! That's 13 oz in 16 days for Levi and 12 oz for Asher. I'm so proud of them!

There is so much I wanted to tell you about the boys and how they're changing, developing, and growing, but I have to admit that I can't remember most of it. Yaaawn. However, I do remember that they are definitely starting to take more notice of the things around them, such as lights and movement. They've both fallen in love with their bouncers, or more specifically, the toy bars on their bouncers. Asher seems to enjoy the green bouncer that has a teething ring, a rattle, and a stuffed turtle hanging from the bar, especially the green turtle...you should see how he eyes that thing, and he has even started reaching out to bat at it. The way that he glares at it makes me think of Stewie from Family Guy..."So Mr. Turtle, we meet again!" Meanwhile, Levi loves laying in the blue bouncer that has a water thingy on the toy bar that makes bubbles and spins little fish. His eyes get huge and he will just lay there for about an hour without making a sound, absolutely mesmerized.

As for the lights, there are a lot of times when I'm feeding them and I see them staring intently at something over my head. When I look in the direction they are looking, it's almost always at some sort of light; the reflections off of the tinsel garlands above the living room windows are of particular interest. Oooh, shiny!

They continue amazes me with how quickly they're developing; already their cries are taking on a more mature (read: loud) quality, and they're getting so strong! Tonight, before I left for work, I was holding Asher on my tummy and chest while he was wide awake, and he kept pushing himself upright with his hands and holding his head up for about 30 seconds at a time. Granted, his head kept bobbing forward or side to side, making him look vaguely like a Rugrats bobble head doll, but it's so cool to see him getting stronger even if I do spend most of the time laughing at him. Is that bad? Is he someday going to go into therapy as a result of some barely remembered infant memory of his mother laughing at his attempts to excel? Let's hope not.

Oh the other hand, Levi continues to be the more laid back of the twins, preferring to snuggle rather than pushing himself like his brother does. He also seems to be developing the beginnings of separation anxiety, so we're being really careful not to let him cry for too long before we comfort him in some way, at least for now. I'm still not worried about Levi's development though, I mean the boy IS rolling over regularly at only 3 weeks old (adjusted age). And I definitely don't mind the snuggling bit! I think Asher and Levi have taught Nathan and I to really live in and enjoy each moment, if for no other reason than it's too overwhelming to think beyond the immediate present.

What I can't handle is the fact that Christmas is in only 5 days! To those of our family members (grandparents, Aunt Diane) who aren't going to be able to join us for Christmas, your gifts will be en route to you as soon as I received them...evidently the Christmas season has our national postal service on overload. Who knew? It has been snowing here pretty consistently for the past few days and the forecast calls for more of the same through the rest of next week, which you gotta love! Here's the kicker...there has been the best snow coming down for the last couple of days. Small flakes, light, dry, and cold, all spelling the perfect snow for skiing. And I have to work tomorrow...tonight...whatever. So no skiing for us. Ah well, I have a feeling that my body is more in the mood for sleep than for shooshing down the mountain side.

Mmmm, sleep. Yaaawn.

No comments: