Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Good Day!

What a great day!

This morning started out a little rocky for me, but I blame it on the post-delivery hormones. I think this morning was the first time that the boys' situation really hit me and I completely broke down right in the middle of NICU. Slightly embarrassing. But really, all in all, the boys are both doing amazingly well.

Asher had a couple more spells where his heart rate dipped really low, and we think that may be in part because he was held twice yesterday and he got really tired out. So we didn't hold either one of them today and just gave them the chance to rest up. By the end of the day, they were both holding really stable. Nathan and I went back down to NICU tonight to see the boys around 9:30, where we were told that the boys were going to be taken off of CPAP and put on simple nasal cannulas!

This is super exciting, because it means that both of them are regulating their oxygen levels really well AND it means that they no longer have those funny masks on so we can actually see their adorable faces! Now they look even more like little old men. They both lost some weight since being born (this is fairly normal) so they have lots of extra wrinkly skin. It's cute, but we can't wait until they start putting the weight back on! Hopefully their jaundice will also be under control sometime tomorrow or the next day, so they won't have those hot lights beating down on them all day.

As for me, I'm getting released from the hospital tomorrow after I get the staples in my incision taken out and replaced with steri-strips. It's going to be a relief to have the staples out, they're not the most comfortable things in the entire world. Nathan is spending tonight over at the Ronald McDonald House...he just called me to inform me that our bed there is a Sleep Number bed. Wow! Much better than the tiny little pad he was sleeping on in my hospital room!

It sounds like us being at this house is the best situation possible...the gal who gave Nathan his tour said that the community donates food and items every day, so they really don't charge for ANYTHING and the house is always stocked with food items. The cost is a $10/night donation that you don't have to pay if you simply can't afford it. How sad is it that we are amazed and astounded to find a place offering these kinds of services for no cost?

Anyway, life is good. As soon as I finish this post, I will put together a web album of the boys under our "Labunski Family Albums" link to the right. There are new photos taken tonight of after they were taken off CPAP so you can see their little faces! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carly Carlson said...

Lindy- I'm surprised you've only had one little break down! You are being so strong! The Lord is OBVIOUSLY watching over you guys to help you keep the perspective and strength you need to see that your boys are being taken care of. I'm so happy they are off their CPAP's... Don't tell anyone I told you this (and anyone who reads this...) but my dad has to sleep with a CPAP and it makes him look like Darth Vader... SCARY! :)
I'm off to watch the little video you posted, now! :)