Saturday, January 26, 2008

Blurb Gem

Sometime in December, Carly posted about a website called blurb.com, where you can go online, download a free program and design a book of your blog that will be professionally printed and bound, all for a pretty decent price. I didn't think much of it until I later saw an ad for it on Facebook and decided to check it out, simply because I was bored. After seeing the things you could do with it (albums, cookbooks, portfolios, etc) I couldn't wait to get started on a project. Only problem is that the templates and settings available on the program are incredibly limiting and I couldn't find a way to make my book look as polished as the ones in the examples.

That was, of course, until I stumbled on Robin's blog. She outlines how to use Photoshop or InDesign to create amazing layouts for each page, and even includes some free templates that make creating the layouts a breeze. If any of you are interested in making a blurb book, I would highly recommend spending an hour or so just perusing her website, as it's filled with great pointers and guidelines. Robin says she isn't an artist, but I'd have to disagree with her.

I'm turning into such a nerd.

No comments: